Spooky Guy’s Cliffe House
Join UK Ghost Nights at Guy’s Cliffe House in Warwick. This gothic mansion is shrouded in mystery from its pagan roots in the 6th Century through to its conversion to Christianity. Just the drive up to this Mansion set deep in its own grounds will send a shiver down your spine.
This location is a ghost hunters playground. It has caves, a derelict gothic mansion, an undercroft, coachouse and even a masonic lodge! Under the cloak of darkness it is truly terrifying. One of our top locations!
All times of day and night paranormal activity is experienced at Guy’s Cliffe House. With sounds of footsteps, bumps in the night, strange mists and shadows and poltergeist activity. It is deemed as one of the most potent haunted locations! We will explore the foreboding masonic lodge, the chapel and a dark basement where many shadow figures are seen. Will you endure a night with the poltergeist in the underground wine cellar?
Saturday 24th November 2018
9pm to 2am
🚫Over 18s only, no pregnant ladies, no alcohol 🚫
🔸Guy’s Cliffe Masonic Rooms Ltd, Guy’s Cliffe Lodge, Coventry Road, Warwick, CV34 5YD🔸
Guy’s Cliffe has been occupied since Saxon times and derives its name from the legendary Guy of Warwick. Guy is supposed to have retired to a hermitage on this site, this legend led to the founding of a chantry. The chantry was established in 1423 as the Chapel of St Mary Magdelene and the rock-carved stables and storehouses still remain. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII the site passed into private hands. The current, ruined house dates from 1751 and was started by Samuel Greatheed, a West India merchant and Member of Parliament for Coventry 1747-1761. The estate also comprised a mill, stables, kitchen garden and land as far as Blacklow Hill.
The house was used as a hospital during World War I and in the World War II became a school for evacuated children. Guy’s Cliffe estate was broken up and sold in 1947. In 1952 the mill became a pub and restaurant and was named The Saxon Mill, the stables became a riding school, the kitchen garden became a nursery, all of which still exist today. A toll house also stood by the road to the north of the Saxon Mill, but this was demolished in the mid 20th century.
The new owner of the house intended to convert it into a hotel, but these plans came to nothing and the house fell into disrepair. In 1955 the house was purchased by Aldwyn Porter and the chapel leased to the Freemasons, establishing a connection with the Masons that remains today. The roof had fallen in by 1966. In 1992 during the filming of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes a fire scene got out of control and seriously damaged the building, leading to an insurance claim. English Heritage has given the building grade II listed status.